This tutorial covers how to utilise some of GeoTools
Build tools for Road development
1. Open the drawing named lesson9.dwg
which is located in your GeoTools Tutorials folder. This folder is
located in the folder where you have installed GeoTools.
2. You should see a drawing (see Image 10-1)
of a small layout of road center-line represented by 3D Polyline along with a
3. Now we will see how to create
right-of-ways by offsetting the road center line on either sides by specified
1. Click on menu GeoTools => Build => Make
Right-of-way / Pavements or type GT_ROWMAKER
at the command prompt.
2. This will pop-up the dialog box as shown below in (Image 10-2)
3. Type 20' Ft in Width of R-O-W box for ofsetting the road center line 20' Ft
on either sides. Then click on Select button for specifying the
layer for offsetted lines.
4. This will pop-up the dialog box as shown below in (Image 10-3)
5. Choose the layer name Pavement and click on OK
button this will bring you back to the dialog box as shown below in (Image 10-4)
displaying the name of the layer Pavement. in ROW layer
6. Next click on OK button this will pop-up the standard selection
dialog box as shown below in (Image 10-5)
7. Now click on Scan
selected objects button and select the 3D Polyline press Enter key
when done this will bring you back to the standard selection dialog box.
8. Lastly click on Apply button to offset 3D polylines on
either sides with specified width and in selected layer. As shown below in
So we have learnt how to create Right-of-way / Pavement with the given road
centerline. Now in similar method we will create Curb
Creating Curb and
For creating the Curb and Shoulder repeat the above steps from step
1 to 8 from Creating
Right-of-ways by specifying offset distance 25' Ft for Curb
30' Ft for Shoulder and select the appropriate layers i.e. for
Curb select the Curb layer and for Shoulder select the Shoulder
layer. This will create the Curb and Shoulder at 25' and 30' Ft
respectively in selected layers as shown below in (Image 10-7)
So after learning how to utilise GeoTools Build tools for road development now
we will see how to create Frontage clearance for buildings
Creating Frontage Clearance
1. We will see how to create the frontage clearance for the Golf Links Building
with varying offset distance.
2. Click on menu GeoTools => Build =>
variable polyline segment offset or type GT_MVOFFSET
at the command prompt.
3. You will be prompted to select the polyline, so select the polyline which is
at 45 degrees as shown below in (Image 10-10)
4. Now you will be prompted to specify the side to offset so click outside the
5. Next you will be prompted to enter the offset distance so enter 10' Ft. This
will offset the selected polyline segment by 10' Ft.
6. Now you will be prompted to select the Offset segment, so for offseting the
next segment type "N" which will highlight the next
segment of polyline.
7. Next you will be prompted to specify the offset distance, so specify 12' Ft.
This will offset the polyline outside by 12' Ft distance.
8. Now for offseting the other two segments repeat the steps 6 and
7 and specify the offset distance 15' Ft and 8' Ft respectively
and then to end the command type "X". you should get the
result as shown below in (Image 10-8).
9. Finally to complete the Frontage Clearance extend the segments
offseted outside and join them. So you should get the completed drawing as shown
below in (Image 10-9).