This tutorial covers some of the GeoTools Block
and Conversion tools
used for representing Lots, marking there centroid and converting points to
1. Open the drawing named lesson3.dwg
which is located in your GeoTools Tutorials folder. This folder is
located in the folder where you have installed GeoTools.
2. You should see a drawing (see Image 3-1) of a small layout of roads and lots
3.The first thing we will learn here is how to
mark Centroid points of lots.
Marking Centroid point
1.Click on menu GeoTools => Build =>
Create centroid marks inside closed
polylines or type GT_CreateCentroid at the command prompt.
2. This will pop-up a dialog box as shown below in (Image3-7). Choose the options
as shown in Image 3-7 and click on OK button
3. Now you will be popped up with the standard selection dialog
box as shown below in (Image 4-3A)
4. Click on Scan selected objects
and select all the lots in the drawing and then click on Apply to
mark the Centroid points inside the lots as shown below in (Image 3-8)
Note: In the above example for creating
Centroid marks we have used AutoCAD / BricsCAD Point object from the create
centroid dialog box shown in Image 3-7 but you can also use the other options
like Running number text and Fixed text string for
marking the centroid with number or a given string.
After learning how to mark centroid points in
the lots now we will see how to label the lots with lot names
Naming the Lots by automatically
inserting the block at selected point objects
1. The drawing consists of block by name Block_layout
which is assigned with Attribute Lot_Name we will use this for
naming the Lots.
2. For naming the Lots automatically click on menu GeoTools => Conversion =>
Convert Points/Text/Circles to Block/Shape or
type GT_P2BlkShp at the command prompt.
3. This will pop-up a dialog box as show below in (Image 3-9) choose the options
as shown in Image 3-9
4. Click on the button Blocks for
selecting the block. This will pop-up the dialog box as shown below in (Image
5. Select the block by name LOT and click on OK button.
This will pop-up the standard selection dialog box as shown below in (image
6. Click on the button Scan selected objects and select
the point object marked in the lots. Then click on
button Apply on the standard selection dialog box.
7. This will pop-up the Output Control dialog box as shown below in (Image 3-11)
choose the options as shown in image 3-11 and click on OK button.
8. This will insert the block BLOCK_LAYOUT
along with the attribute ---- in the lots as shown below in (Image 3-12)
9. Now we will double click on the attributes -----
for naming the lots. Type the names as shown below in (Image 3-13)