This tutorial covers how to utilize some of GeoTools
AutoCAD Map tools for working on Object data.
1. Open the drawing named lesson11.dwg
which is located in your GeoTools Tutorials folder. This folder is
located in the folder where you have installed GeoTools.
2. You should see a drawing (see Image 12-1) of a small layout of Conduit
carrying electrical cables of different companies represented by 2D Polyline
3. The drawing shows number of block attributes displaying the
pole details like Pole number, Owner name, Tel.No. This blocks are also attached
with object data table by name POLE. Which has object data fields
such as PoleNum, Owner and TelNo. Now we will see how we can
utilize GeoTools AutoCAD Map tools for working on Object data.
4. We shall begin with renaming the object data field Owner
Renaming the object data
field Owner to Company
1. Click on menu GeoTools => AutoCAD Map
Rename Object Data Fields or type GT_REN_OD_FLDS
at the command prompt. This will pop-up the dialog box as shown below (image 12-2)
2. Under Object Table to use select POLE. Under Field
to rename select OWNER and in New field name box
type Company and click on OK button to replace the object
data field name.
So we have learnt how to rename the object data field. Now we will see how we can
Export object table data to ASCII file.
Exporting Object Table data to ASCII
1. Click on menu GeoTools => AutoCAD Map Tools =>
Export Object Data Table to ASCII file or type GT_OD_EXTRACT
at the command prompt. This will pop-up the dialog box as shown below (image 12-3)
3. Under Object Tables to export choose POLE. And in Export
parameters check the boxes Export all records in each entity
and Export field names as first record [header]
4. Type comma (,) in the Delimiter between fields box
5. Apart from extracting object table data we can extract the Object Type,
Handle and Object Layer by checking the respective boxes under Additional
6. Click on the button Export text file
to specify the file path for extracting the object table data. And then click on
OK button this will pop-up the Standard selection dialog box as
shown below in (image 12-4).
7. Click on the button Scan entire drawing
this will select all the objects in the drawing and lastly click on Apply
button for extracting the object table data to the ASCII file.
8. Below (image 12-5) shows the object table data
and additional extracts into a text (ASCII) file.